The aRSSduino is a simple project for the Arduino microcontroller, designed to display RSS feed entries on a 16×2 LCD. It’s still in the early stages, with the following outstanding:
- To Do: Support for larger LCDs
- To Improve: Better UTF-8 character handling
- To Do: Multiple RSS feed support
For now, however, it’s a pretty neat hack – and an alternative back-end allows it to display Twitter @ replies instead, with the person’s username on the top line of the display and the message below.
The aRSSduino relies on a USB connection between the Arduino and the host PC – it’s not a stand-alone project. Currently, the Python back-end is written to run on a Linux-based host – although it should be relatively simple to port to Windows, I have no plans to do so at present.
You can download the project source code – both for the Arduino sketch and for the Python-based back-end here. If you improve upon it, let me know!
I’ve been fighting my new WordPress theme this morning in order to get the darn thing to validate as XHTML 1.0 Transitional – I didn’t aim for Strict as I use the “target=_new” functionality in a lot of existing links which would need to be updated. After fixing a bunch of problems around the place, I finally tracked the last few down to the Twitter widget you can see to the right.
It appears that Twitter’s default coding for the HTML-based widget is a trifle skwiffy. The code offered to me by the site is:
<h2 class=”sidebar-title”&rt;Twitter Updates</h2&rt;
<a id=”twitter-link” style=”display: block; text-align: right;” href=”http://twitter.com/ghalfacree”&rt;follow me on Twitter</a&rt;
which refuses to validate, showing five errors mostly related to things being in the wrong order. A quick hack-job gave me the following:
Read More →